Apply for Council Tax Reduction

If you are on a low income, you could be eligible for a reduction of Council Tax.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

If you're not registered to manage your account online, you can sign up to MyAccount.

You'll be able to apply for Housing benefit in the same online form. 

Other ways to apply
  • send us an email
  • call us on 020 8770 5000 and select option 1, 2 and 2, or
  • write to:

Council Tax Team
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Check if you're eligible

You can apply if you:

  • live in Sutton
  • pay Council Tax
  • are on a low income 

You're not eligible if you:

  • have savings of over £10,000, or
  • if you are a pensioner with savings of over £16,000

What you'll need to provide 

You can send us the evidence to support your claim by uploading photographs or scanned copies of documents. 

If you already get Universal Credit

If you already get Universal Credit and are applying for Council Tax reduction, we’ll need to see your award statement.

You can log in to your Universal Credit account, and use the print menu to save your award statement as a PDF document that you can upload. 

Otherwise, print it off, take a clear photo of each page, and upload the photos.

If you don't have a Universal Credit Award statement 

We’ll need you to photograph or scan all of these:

  •     proof of your ID
  •     proof of your and your partner's income (such as payslips)
  •     proof of any benefits you get
  •     proof of any savings you have
  •     your tenancy agreement (to show how much you pay in rent)
  •     proof of any childcare costs you pay

You’ll be asked to provide them at the end of the form, just before you submit your claim.

How much reduction you can get

How much support you’ll receive depends on your income and circumstances such as:

  • earnings
  • benefits
  • residency status
  • your household income including savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

If you are not eligible for the Council Tax reduction scheme, you might be able to apply for a Council Tax discount based on other factors.

If you are a pensioner on a low income you may be eligible for a reduction of up to 100% on your Council Tax.

If you are of working age on a low income you may be eligible for a reduction of up to 75% on your Council Tax.

Full details of the scheme 

We update our Council Tax Support scheme each year. Read the latest Council Tax Reduction information.