Apply for housing benefit

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you're on a low income. 

You don’t need to apply for Housing benefit if you can get Universal Credit, as this includes money for your rent. 

You can:

Who’s eligible for Housing benefit

You can only usually claim housing benefit if:

  • you're of state pension age
  • you live in supported accommodation
  • you live in temporary accommodation

Otherwise, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. 

If you’re not eligible for Universal Credit

If you're not eligible for Universal Credit, you can apply for Housing Benefit online.

Apply for Housing Benefit

You'll need to register for MyAccount to complete an online application. 

You can apply for a Council Tax reduction in the same online form.

Other ways to apply

Council Tax Team
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

What you'll need to provide 

You can send us the evidence to support your claim by uploading photographs or scanned copies of documents.