Building regulations are legal standards that make sure building work is safe.

Our Building Control team of surveyors and engineers make sure that all building work in Sutton meets these national regulations. We’re also responsible for dealing with dangerous structures, contraventions, and demolition sites.

Building control legislation ensures

  • the health and safety of persons in and about a building
  • energy efficiency in buildings 
  • we meet the needs of disabled people

The service is also responsible for dealing with dangerous structures, contraventions, and demolition sites.

You’ll need to make sure the work meets the minimum standards set out in building regulations on GOV.UK.

You should also check if you need planning permission.

You can send us an email if you have any questions about the work you’re planning. 

Check if you need building control approval 

Most building work requires building regulation approval.

This includes:

  • new buildings
  • loft conversions
  • extensions
  • through lounges
  • chimney breast removals
  • roofing
  • drainage
  • electrical work

You can use the householder guidance booklets below to assist and help you plan your project. The guides cover everything from the initial idea through to the completion of the build giving helpful tips and advice about both the planning and building control processes to help towards a successful application and build.

a homeowners guide to the planning process                      a homeowners guide to expanding your living space

You can find out if you need building control approval on the planning portal.

Digging foundations in clay soil

If you’re digging foundations in clay soil, the minimum 1.0m depth requirement may have to be deeper in the presence of trees. You can use the Local Authority Building Control (LABC)  foundation calculator to help you estimate how deep Building Control will require you to dig your foundations.

Clay in Sutton is usually highly shrinkable, so you’ll need to know the mature height of trees.  Read about building regulations for foundations on the Planning Portal.

Copies of completion certificates 

Building Control history cards and certificates are available to view free of charge at our offices. 

You’ll need a pay a fee if you need:

  • a copy of previously decided applications, or 
  • for us to conduct a history search for applications on your behalf 

You can make a request for either of these by completing our Document Request Form.