Disabled people with adapted properties

If your property has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person, you may be eligible for a reduction in Council Tax. 

An important factor of Disabled Banding Reduction is that it is not granted because a person is disabled, but because the property is suitable for or has been adapted as the result of the disability of one of the residents.

For the purposes of this scheme, a person is considered to be disabled if they are substantially and permanently disabled because of illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise.

Apply for disability reduction

The person paying for Council Tax has to make the application.

You’ll need to know your Council Tax account number to apply. This can be found at the top of your paper bill or displayed on your MyAccount details if you’ve registered.

Other ways to apply

Council Tax Team
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Before you apply

To qualify for a reduction, the property must have at least one of these:

  • a room, other than a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory, specifically for and used by the disabled person, such as a room set aside for kidney dialysis
  • an extra bathroom or kitchen adapted to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • enough floor space, if the disabled person must use a wheelchair indoors

The person qualifying for this doesn’t have to be:

  • the person liable for Council Tax
  • registered disabled
  • over 18 years old

Your entitlement 

If an adapted property qualifies, the discount is equivalent to lowering the Council Tax by one band. For example, if the property is Band D it will be charged as if it was Band C.

If the property is Band A (the lowest Council Tax band), it will be charged at a rate equivalent to 5/9ths that of a Band D property.