Disputing housing benefit decisions

If you disagree with a decision made about your housing benefit, you have one calendar month to contact us and ask us to either:

  • explain our decision (this is called ‘a statement of reasons’)
  • ask us to look at the decision again (this is called a ‘reconsideration’)
  • ask for an appeal to an independent tribunal

Asking for a Statement of Reasons

You can get an explanation of how we have worked out your entitlement by calling our Customer Services team on 020 8770 5000.

If you want a written explanation of our reasons for the decision or a full breakdown of how your claim was calculated, you should write in or email us.

Asking for a Reconsideration

If you believe our decision is wrong, you can write in or email us to ask for the decision to be reconsidered. You need to do this within one calendar month of the date of our letter. You need to tell us why you think your entitlement is wrong and provide information to support this.

Once we’ve received your request, your claim will be looked at again. We will then send you a letter telling you if your entitlement has changed or will stay the same.

If you still disagree with our decision, you can ask to appeal.

Appealing a decision

You can appeal to an independent Tribunal Service if you believe our decision is wrong.

Appeals must be made in writing to: Housing Benefits department, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA.

Your appeal must reach us, either:

  • within one calendar month of the date of the decision that you are appealing
  • within one calendar month of our letter advising of the outcome of a reconsideration

You'll need to tell us why you think your entitlement is wrong and provide any information to support this. It must also be signed by the person making the appeal.

We will look at our decision again and if we don't change it, your appeal will be submitted to the Tribunal Service. They will then review our decision, using the evidence provided and the law that governs how we make decisions.