Check what equipment you can get to help with everyday tasks.

Equipment that can help 

There are different types of equipment that can help with:

  • getting out of bed or out of a chair - such as grab rails and things to raise your bed
  • using the bathroom - such as tap turners and bath boards and seats
  • getting around - such as walking sticks and frames, wheelchairs and mobility scooters
  • preparing food - such as cutlery with special handles and bottle, jar and tin openers

Buy your own equipment

You can buy equipment online or from high street shops. This is usually the quickest way to get what you need. 

If you need some help choosing equipment, you can ask for advice from your local pharmacy or your GP.

You can contact the Disabled Living Foundation for information and advice about different types of equipment.

Borrow, replace, return or repair equipment

Our Integrated Community Equipment Services (ICES) provide equipment to residents.

You'll need a prescription from a healthcare professional to loan equipment from them. 

ICES will also take any equipment that is no longer needed.

Contact ICES



020 8664 8860


Croydon Living Independently Centre
3 Imperial Way
Croydon CR0 4RR

Get equipment from the Council

If your needs are complex or you feel you need support and advice, you can contact us. We may put you in touch with an Occupational Therapist to carry out an assessment. 

Occupational Therapy can carry out an assessment of your needs. They may recommend equipment, home adaptations or care technology to help you. 

This will be provided to you by prescription, or you'll be referred to local services to borrow equipment.

Contact us

You can contact our occupational therapy team for support with:

  • getting equipment
  • adaptations to your home
  • help with mobility, falls and rehabilitation


020 8770 5000

Write to us

Sutton Council
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Find us on Google maps


Our offices and phone lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.