Information for food businesses and your responsibility to protect the health of your customers.

Food business registration

Food businesses have a legal obligation to register and notify changes to the Local Authority.

You can register your business online:

Online registration of a Food Business Establishment on GOV.UK

You need to download the form and follow the instructions

If you can’t complete the online form, you can print, complete and post this form registration of a food business establishment to:

Sutton Council
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

You may also need to complete or apply for:

Changes to food hygiene re-rating

There is now a £200 charge per visit for any Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS) re-rating inspection request.

You can make payment using our online payment system, and choosing "food Hygiene rerating".

If you want to have your business re-rated, you'll need to complete our Re-Rating Request Form.

You can email the completed form to us at

You'll need to:

  • put "Hygiene Re-rating request" in the subject line
  • include the name of your business
  • explain why you want a re-rating
  • detail any areas that have improved since the last visit
  • include any evidence such as photographs

A Food Safety Officer will review your form and get in touch with you.

Animal Feed Legislation and Guidance

Legislation on animal feed is harmonised at European Union (EU) level. It applies to feed for farmed livestock, but also covers feed for:

  • horses
  • pets
  • farmed fish
  • zoo and circus animals
  • creatures living in the wild

Premises that market products (e.g. surplus food) for use as, or in, animal feeds, must be registered as feed business establishments, under EC Regulation 183/2005.