Free early education and childcare complaints procedure

If you're unhappy with the delivery of Childcare Entitlement from a childcare provider, you should raise your concerns with them.

If you're unsatisfied with their response

You can contact Sutton Family Information service:

We will reply to your complaint with an initial response within 14 days.

If you're not happy with the way we deal with your complaint

You may make a formal complaint by writing to:

Corporate Customer Care

Sutton Council

Civic offices

St Nicholas Way



Phone us on 020 8770 5000

Send the complaints team an email