Making a complaint 

You can contact us if you have a complaint about the health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace.

Do not use this enquiry form for any other enquiries.

Make a health and safety complaint about a workplace


We carry out regular checks on workplace premises. 

Our Environmental Health and Multidisciplinary Officers inspect business premises to improve standards of health and safety. This is to reduce the number of accidents and ill health associated with the work environment and practices. 

We assess priority needs to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of those who live and work in the Borough.

Health & Safety at Work regulations

We have a legal duty to enforce the Health and Safety at work etc Act 1974 and related legislation. To do this we:

  • inspect high risk workplaces to ensure that they do not present unacceptable risks to the health, safety or welfare of the workforce
  • investigate certain accidents that occur in a workplace to identify any unsafe practices or breach of legislation
  • respond to complaints about:
    • alleged poor health
    • safety standards
    • requests for advice about health and safety
  • raise awareness of health and safety through campaigns, promotions or via advice to customers and stakeholders
  • liaise with Planning and Building Control Officers to advise on health and safety through campaigns of new businesses and developments
  • liaise with the Health and Safety Executive, providing annual returns on our enforcement activity and work with other health professionals locally and nationally
  • give education and encouragement or use any legal means to promote and achieve legal compliance in accordance with government and local priorities

Cooling Tower Registration

Under the notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992, persons in control of non domestic premises have a duty to notify the Local Authority in writing with details of 'notifiable devices'.

Notifiable devices consist of cooling towers and evaporative condensers, except where they contain water that is not exposed to the air and the water and electricity supply are not connected. If a tower becomes redundant or dismantled, this should also be notified. You must also notify the local authority of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change, in writing.

Licence Fees: No fees payable.