Get help with the making and paying for adaptations to your home.

Types of home adaptations

Home adaptations are changes you can make to your home to help you manage daily tasks, such as:

  • installing stairlifts 
  • installing access ramps or a wheelchair lift
  • widening doorways 
  • replacing your bath or shower unit with a level-access shower, or changing your toilet
  • adding a downstairs toilet or bathroom so that you don't have to keep using the stairs
  • installing low level kitchen units
If you rent your home, you’ll need to talk to your landlord before making any changes.

Paying for home adaptations and repairs

Finding a professional

You can choose to find a professional to make adaptations to your home. 

Before you buy or install anything, you can get specialist advice from:

  • trained health and social care professionals
  • equipment providers
  • qualified builders
  • tradespeople

Get more information 

Foundations provides advice on home adaptations.

Age UK provides advice on making changes to your home. 

Independent Age provides practical advice on adaptations to help you stay independent at home.

You can find reputable tradespeople online by checking Yellow Pages or Which? Local.

Get help with the cost of adaptations

You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant if you have a long term health condition or disability, and need to make changes to your home.

You’ll need an Occupational Therapy assessment first, to find out if you’re eligible.

We may provide support and advice to help you making changes to your home or put you in touch with other organisations.

You cannot apply for a grant if the work has already been done.

Help with minor home repairs

If you need help with minor home repairs or advice on making major adaptations you can contact Sutton Staying Put scheme.

They are our in-house home improvement agency, and provide minor home repairs for people with a disability or people at risk.

You may be eligible for this scheme if:

  • you are aged 50 or over and in receipt of an income related benefit
  • you are not on income related benefits but have limited savings
  • you, or a member of your household is under 50 and in receipt of Disabled Living Allowance

You may need to pay for some or all of the materials and cost of labour. 

You can contact us about the Staying Put Scheme by sending an email to

Support from the Council

If you have a long term health condition or disability and need to make changes to your home, you can get advice and support from our Occupational Therapy team.

They can complete an assessment to decide what adaptations you need and information about paying for them.   

Contact us

If you need support to make adaptations to your home, contact our Occupational Therapy team.


020 8770 5000

Write to us

Sutton Council
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Find us on Google maps


Our offices and phone lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.