If you have a problem with pests you could try reading an online advice guide to take action yourself. The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) provides an A-Z of pests with advice on how to deal with each pest.

Professional pest control

If this does not work you could call in a professional pest controller.

When looking for a pest controller, make sure you:

  • get at least three quotations
  • find out if there is a call out fee or fixed charge
  • find out what service and guarantee they will provide you
  • check they have insurance cover
  • check their qualifications
  • a certificate in Pest Control from the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health (RSPH) or the BPCA
  • are happy with them and understand the advice they give
  • consider personal recommendations from friends, neighbours or colleagues

You can also:

What to expect from a pest controller

If they use bait, your pest controller will need to visit a few times to inspect the bait and keep it topped up. They should also carry out a final inspection once the programme is complete. They should also ensure that the bait they have used gets removed.

If rodenticides are used, your pest controller should carry out an environmental assessment. This is to consider the possible threats to wildlife and domestic animals. 

Council tenants

If you're concerned about pests, you should contact your estate manager.

Private sector tenants

If you're concerned about pests, you should contact your landlord. Depending on the problem, it may not be your landlord’s responsibility to deal with the pests. Although, they may be able to help you find a solution.

If you need to deal with the problem yourself, you can follow the advice above.

Report a pest issue to the Council

Report a pest issue within your neighbourhood


We may be able to deal with nuisance caused by insects if coming from:

  • industrial premises 
  • trade premises or
  • business premises

Download the Statutory Nuisance from Insects and Artificial Light guidance from Defra (PDF) for more information about this.