You must tell us straight away if there is any change to your circumstances.

If the information we have about you has changed, it may affect your entitlement for:

  • Council Tax reduction
  • Council Tax discounts or exemptions
  • Housing benefit

Tell us about a change in circumstances 

Other ways to report a change

When to let us know

You must tell us about a change in your circumstances straight away, even if you’ve already told your landlord or other organisation like Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service.

If you take longer than one month to tell us about a change:

  • you may not get what you are entitled to 
  • you may be paid too much and have to pay it back
  • you could face criminal charges for fraud

Changes to tell us about

You must tell us if something changes for you, your partner or those living with you. Some examples include:

  • you change address or tenancy
  • anyone moves in or out of your home
  • wages, benefits or any other incomes change
  • savings, assets, property or capital change
  • the rent or your landlord changes
  • starting or stopping work
  • anyone has a baby
  • anyone becomes a student or leaves education
  • anyone goes into a hospital, nursing home or prison
  • anyone goes away temporarily 
  • anyone receives a Home Office decision regarding their immigration status

If you are not sure whether the change affects your benefits, tell us anyway.