If you or a family member are a student or have recently left school or college, you may be able to get a discount or exemption on your Council Tax bill.

You'll need to email us to apply for this discount.

Apply for a student discount by email 

You’ll need to know your Council Tax account number to apply. This can be found at the top of your paper bill or displayed in MyAccount.

Other ways to apply
  • call us on 020 8770 5422, or
  • write to:

Council Tax Team
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Before you apply

You are eligible for this discount if: 

  • you are 18 or over and at a prescribed establishment (e.g college, university) which must be in the UK or European Union (you can be distance learning as long as you meet the other student criteria)
  • you must live in the UK 
  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year 
  • your course involves at least 21 hours of study a week 
  • you are 18 or 19 and on a non-advanced course (like A-levels) that lasts at least 3 months and involves at least 12 hours of study a week

When you email us to apply, you’ll need to attach a copy of either:

  • a letter from the school, confirming that you still study there and when you’ll finish studying
  • an original Council Tax student certificate from your university/college marked with the official university/college stamp 

If there are only students in your house

If everyone who lives in your house is a student or a school leaver, you may be exempt from paying Council Tax.

You’ll need to provide information for everyone living in the house, and documents that confirm they meet the criteria. 

Apply for an occupied wholly by students exemption

If you've stopped attending your course

You’ll still be exempt from paying Council Tax if you stop attending your course, as long as:

  • you’re aged 18 or 19 years old
  • you stopped attending your course between 1 May and 31 October

The exemption will end on the 1 November of the same year, or on your 20th birthday - whichever comes first.

Other types of student

There are discounts available for apprentices and youth trainees.

Foreign full-time students

If you have a partner or dependant who is not a British citizen and is not allowed to work or claim benefits, you won’t have to pay Council Tax. 

To apply, email us a copy of your partner's passport as well as the documents listed above.

Foreign language assistants

Foreign language assistants are classed as students. They are disregarded from paying Council Tax whilst they’re working in a school or other educational establishment in the UK.

To apply, email us and provide a copy of your student certificate.

Student nurses

Student nurses aren’t classed in the same way as students, but may still be disregarded for Council Tax.

You must be:

  • attending a college of nursing and midwifery or a college of health
  • on a course that leads to first registration on Parts 1-8 on the register maintained under the Nurses, Midwives And Health Visitors Act 1979 

To apply, email us with documents that prove you're enrolled on a nursing course.