Unoccupied Property Rating  

You’ll usually still need to pay business rates for an unoccupied non-domestic property.  However, they’re not payable for the first three months that a property is empty.   

Unoccupied properties with a rateable value of under £2,900 are exempt from payment of empty property rates. 

Partly occupied property relief (Section 44A relief)

A ratepayer is liable for payment of the full non-domestic rate whether a property is occupied or only partly occupied. Read more about exempted buildings and empty property relief on GOV.UK.

If a property is partly occupied for a short time only

You may be able to claim a discretionary award for relief on your bill.

If a property is party occupied on a long term basis

You can submit a proposal to request a division in the rating list, separating the occupied and unoccupied areas.

Make an application for partly occupied relief (Section 44A relief)

You’ll need to email us to arrange an inspection of the property. You’ll need to provide:

  • confirmation of the time that the area is vacant
  • a plan showing the dimensions of the unoccupied and occupied areas 
  • your contact information 

After you’ve submitted your application

  1. We will confirm the details of your application by doing an inspection. 
  2. You can then request the Valuation Office Agency to certify the unoccupied area. 
  3. Empty exemptions will be applied to your business rates bill. 

When the relief or exemption is applied to your bill

Exemption or relief is only awarded to the end of the financial year. 

You’ll need to make a new application if:

  • your circumstances continue into a new financial year
  • the occupied/unoccupied areas change

The relief will end on 31 March each year or when the Council is informed that the unoccupied area is occupied.