What is building control?

Compliance with the building regulations is essential to ensure the health & safety of persons in and about a building. The regulations also promote energy efficiency in buildings and contribute to meeting the needs of disabled people.

The service is also responsible for dealing with dangerous structures, contraventions and demolition sites.

For more information on the building regulations please visit the planning portal.

Notifiable work

Most building work requires building regulation approval. This includes new buildings, loft-conversions, through lounges, extensions and alterations. Permission may be applied for by building notice or full plans applications.

For those digging foundations in clay soil, the minimum 1.0m depth requirement may have to be made deeper in the presence of trees. The LABC foundation calculator can help you estimate how deep Building Control will require you to dig your foundations. Typically in Sutton, clay is highly shrinkable and you will need to know the mature height of trees.

Alterations to factories, shops and offices that need approval under the building regulations must be made under the full plans procedure.

In addition to building regulation approval, in some cases, planning permission may also be required, visit our planning permission page.

If you have any questions about the work you are planning you should consult us first at building.control@sutton.gov.uk.

List of the main notifiable works

  • New buildings
  • Loft conversions
  • Extensions
  • Through lounges
  • Chimney breast removals
  • Roofing
  • Drainage
  • Electrical work

Part P - Electrical Work

Apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work installation work in a home or a home's garden, conservatory or outbuilding has to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations. The work must either be reported to the local-authority building-control, or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers. 

To help you find a competent electrician, we have provided the links below to registered electricians as well as to some general guidance. Upon satisfactory completion of the work a completion certificate is issued which  will help you when you come to sell your property.

Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes.

General electrical work guidance - For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats.

Dangerous structures

If you believe that a building or structure is dangerous you may inform the building control service who will investigate the matter. Please provide as much information as possible regarding the problem and your contact details to our Contact centre on 020 8770 5000.

Enforcement Policy

Please view our Enforcement Policy.

Completion certificates (copies)

Building Control history cards and certificates are available to view free of charge at our offices. Should you require copies of previously decided applications, or for us to conduct a history search for applications on your behalf there is an administration charge per request. Requests should be sent via our Document Request Form.