Disabled Facilities Grants

You can apply for a grant if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home. 

The Disabled Facilities Grant can help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there.

How to apply

You can apply for a disabled facilities grant by completing our online form or calling us on 020 8770 5000 (press option 5 and then 2).

Apply for the Disabled Facilities Grant

Read about Disabled Facilities Grants on GOV.UK.

Who can apply

You can get a grant if we think that:

  • changes are necessary to meet your needs, and
  • the work is reasonable and practical

You can claim if you, or someone living in your property, is disabled and:

  • are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of your property
  • you intend to occupy the property as the only or main residence throughout the grant period (currently ten years)

A landlord may apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.

How you can use the grant

A grant can be used for adaptations to:

  • give you better freedom of movement into and around your home 
  • to provide essential facilities within it

This might include:

  • widening doors and installing ramps
  • providing or improving access to rooms and facilities such as by:
    • installing a stair lift or
    • providing a downstairs bathroom
  • improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • improving access to and movement around the home to enable you to care for another person who lives in the property, such as a child

An occupational therapist will look at your circumstances and recommend the type of adaptations you need. You'll need to get support from your occupational therapist before applying for the grant.

How much you can get

The amount paid is usually based on a financial assessment. This is a 'means test' of your average weekly income. If you have a partner, your combined income will be assessed jointly. Capital is included in the means test.

There is no means testing for families of disabled children under 19.

Means testing will take into account savings above a certain limit. The maximum amount of grant that we will pay is £30,000 per application. This is less any assessed contribution from you.

If you sell the property

If you sell the property within 10 years of the adaptations we paid for and the grant was over £5,000, we will ask you to repay some of the money If the grant is less than £30,000 the maximum we can ask you to repay is £10,000.