Household Reuse and Recycling Centre at Kimpton Park Way

From 31 December 2023, residents disposing of rubble at the Council’s Kimpton Park Way Household Reuse and Recycling Centre will be able to for free.

Rubble (household DIY waste) must be produced from works by the occupier of the property and not from works where the occupier has paid a tradesperson to complete works on their behalf.  If work is being carried out at your property that you are paying for, ask for the person or company carrying out the work to arrange for any waste to be removed.

Visits to dispose of rubble cannot exceed four single visits per household in any four-week period.

Each single visit must be either:

  • less than 100 litres and capable of being fitted into two 50 litre bags
  • a single article of waste no larger than 2000mm x 750mm x 700mm in size (this is roughly equivalent to a bathtub or a door)

Any rubble waste that exceeds this limit can either be brought back to the site on a separate visit if it meets the criteria set out above or can be disposed of for a charge as detailed below.

How much is the charge

A maximum of 6 sacks per visit will be accepted. 2 for free, then the 4 remaining after will be charged.

From April 1st 2024, the charge for additional rubble is £5.35 per sack (no matter how full the sack is). The maximum sack size is 50 litres. Payment will be taken on-site and can be made by debit/credit card. If you require a receipt ask site staff prior to payment. 

A maximum of 6 sacks per visit is permitted (including the permitted free allowance). 

Rubble should be brought to the site so that the waste is contained and can be safely lifted.

Make sure to separate soil from the rubble. Soil that is disposed of separately can be disposed of without a charge and is counted in the 6 sacks limit.

What is rubble

Rubble includes construction and demolition materials such as:

  • bricks
  • cement
  • ceramic bathroom suites
  • clay
  • concrete blocks
  • gravel
  • hardcore
  • paving slabs
  • plaster
  • rubble
  • sand
  • slate
  • stone
  • tiles

The maximum sack size is 50 litres, this is the size of a heavy-duty rubble sack. You may also bring rubble to the site in other containers, such as crates or plastic boxes. Staff are trained to estimate the amount of waste taken to the site in other containers, in order to charge fairly if this is applicable.

Rubble Charging FAQs

Do I need to book my visit?

Yes, you will need to make a booking via the Council’s website and indicate on the booking form that you will be bringing rubble. The visit will be counted towards the fair usage policy in operation at the HRRC.

You can bring other accepted waste on your visit.

What happens during my visit?

On arrival at the HRRC, you will be directed to the rubble disposal parking bay. Once parked, the site staff will record the amount of rubble you’ve brought and arrange for payment to be taken to dispose of the rubble if it is above the 2 free bags limit.  The gate to the container will be opened to allow for disposal.

I can’t carry a full rubble bag and need to split my waste. What can I do?

Not all residents will be able to carry a full 50-litre rubble sack. Our HRRC site staff will accept rubble taken to the site in other containers, such as crates or plastic boxes. Rubble should be brought to the site so that the waste is contained and can be safely lifted.

Staff will be trained to make estimates on the amount of waste taken to the site in other containers to charge fairly. This will be agreed with the resident prior to payment and disposal. In case of dispute  on the charge, the site manager’s decision is final.

Will I be charged for disposal of other household materials?

No, residents can continue to use the HRRC to dispose of all other accepted household waste free of charge.

Can I dispose of rubble via other methods?

If you are having work done in your home, the tradesperson should dispose of any waste material.

If you are doing a job yourself which is likely to create a lot of rubble waste, you could consider using a mini skip or other commercial waste service.

What happens to the rubble after it’s taken to the HRRC?

The rubble is recycled into aggregate for road surfaces