If you want to carry out a licensable activity on or within 7 meters of the public highway you will require a Street Trading licence.

Licensable activity includes:

  • the sale, display or offering of goods or services for sale, including selling items for charity
  • the placing of tables and chairs on the highway

We have a number of permanent pitches in Sutton High Street, Rosehill and Woodmansterne Lane, as well as opportunities for temporary trading.

Street trading has always formed part of the Borough's history. Thriving markets add to the diversity of shopping opportunities, and the character of the neighbourhoods in which they are located. Street trading provides valuable employment opportunities for local people and allow new small businesses and traders to test their business skills and ideas in an environment with relatively low start up costs and minimal overheads.

Selling food

You and any of your assistants will be required to have a valid Food Hygiene Certificate at the appropriate level if you want to sell:

  • raw/uncooked meat or fish
  • fruit or vegetables
  • deli food
  • prepared/cooked food of any kind

You are also required to register the business where you prepare the food for sale with the Council.

You must have hand washing facilities provided with water at a suitable temperature, soap or detergent and means of drying hands.

Where only low risk open foods such as biscuits, sweets, olives etc. are for sale and utensils are used for handling food, or where food is fully wrapped, a wash hand basin may not be required. In this instance it may be acceptable to provide and use antiseptic wipes/liquid and/or disposable gloves.

For more information on food safety and registering as a food business, refer to the running a food business page.

Selling alcohol

If you wish to sell alcohol, you will need a Temporary Event Notice in addition to any temporary street trading licence.


The Council has developed a street trading policy which sets out the general approach of the Council when considering:

  • applications for street trading licences
  • applications for temporary licences
  • enforcement of street trading activities

Before making an application, you are advised to read the street trading policy.


Our application forms are all available on our application forms page.


Most applications made for Street Trading consent will be served on one or more Council departments or partner authorities. For example, this might be the Highways team or the Police for one application.

These bodies, and members of the public in certain cases, can make comments on applications.


You can view details of the fees payable for street trading licences on our fees page.