Dispute a decision about Council Tax Reduction

If you disagree with a decision we've made about your entitlement to a Council Tax reduction, you have one calendar month to contact us.

You can ask us:

  • for an explanation of that decision, or
  • to look at the decision again

Send us an email about your Council Tax reduction 

You need to tell us why you think the decision is wrong and provide information to support this.

If you're unhappy with our response

You have the right to dispute that decision by making an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. They are an independent body that has the power to review any reduction we award against the Council Tax charge levied on your home.

To begin this process you need to:

  1. request a ‘statement of reasons’ for the decision you wish to dispute
  2. make an appeal directly to the Tribunal

Further information about the Valuation Tribunal’s power to review and overturn the decision is available on the Tribunal’s website.