Who you should contact

Education Advice

Cognus is commissioned, and wholly owned, by London Borough of Sutton Council, to provide education services to mainstream schools and specialist education providers in Sutton.

Cognus provides a range of services for families and professionals to ensure that children, young people and parents/carers receive the support and services they need to achieve and lead happy, healthy and fulfilled lives. Some examples of these services are:

  • admissions
  • attendance
  • early years
  • education for all (Inclusion)
  • keeping children safe
  • special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
  • sutton music trust
  • therapies
  • training and development
  • virtual school

If you would like to make a complaint about a service Cognus provides, you can do so by visiting Cognus feedback and complaints or by emailing feedback@cognus.org.uk.

School Complaints

If you would like to make a complaint about a school or have a concern about a matter that took place in a school, you should raise this directly with them.

Schools are required to have a complaint process and this is usually available on the school’s website or from the schools office.

If you remain unhappy after you have completed the schools complaints process, you can refer your complaint to the Department for Education.

You can make a complaint to Ofstead, but this does not mean that they will inspect the school. Ofstead focuses on complaints that affect the school as a whole rather than individual pupils.

More information on complaints about schools can be found by visiting the government website.

Sutton Council

If your complaint is not for the attention of Cognus and cannot be raised with the school directly, follow the steps below to complain to the council and we will advise what action you need to take.

Making a complaint

Contact us if you would like to make a complaint about something that happened in the past 12 months.



Write to us

Sutton Council, Civic Officer, St. Nicholas Way, Sutton SM1 1EA

You should include as much detail as possible, providing any supporting documents such as emails or letters. If you are submitting a complaint on behalf of someone else, we will need proof of authorisation for you to act on their behalf.