Apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work installation work must comply with Part P of the Building Regulations. This applies to:

  • a home
  • a home's garden
  • conservatory or 
  • outbuilding

The work must either be:

  • reported to the local-authority building-control, or 
  • carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers

Find a competent electrician

You can search a list of registered electricians belonging to the various Competent Person Schemes.

If you need general advice, guidance and information visit the Electrical Safety First website. 

Upon satisfactory completion of the work, a completion certificate is issued which will help you when you come to sell your property.