Our Environmental Health Team operates a noise complaints service.

We offer a fair and balanced approach to investigating noise problems. We will make every effort to improve or control the noise and offer you a service that is accessible, prompt and efficient.

Report a noise nuisance

How we control levels of noise

We actively work with:

  • residents
  • businesses
  • developers, and
  • regional partners

We can carry out noise level assessment and check construction site development.

We provide advice on:

  • amplified music
  • audio systems in stationary vehicles
  • burglar alarms (including entering buildings to switch off the alarm)
  • car alarms (including breaking into vehicles to disarm the alarm)
  • car repairs
  • construction (including serving notices and taking action through the courts)
  • DIY
  • domestic appliances
  • hobbies
  • leisure activities
  • musical instruments
  • parties
  • refrigerator units
  • street noise - stationary vehicles with engines running (but not defective or loud silencers)

We cannot deal with the normal everyday sounds of living in dwellings, such as:

  • children playing
  • dogs barking occasionally
  • doors banging
  • levels of music
  • people arguing
  • people laughing
  • people shouting
  • people walking across their floors
  • reasonable periods
  • washing machines

These things may be irritating on occasions, but they are not illegal or criminal activities. We cannot take formal legal action on such matters.

However, it may be possible for us to informally write to your neighbour offering some general advice on neighbour noise.

What you can do

If you have a noise problem, you can:

The information you provide will not be passed onto the source of the noise without your consent, unless the issue goes to court.

What we can do

If you contact us about a noise problem, we can:

  • respond to all service requests within two working days
  • visit on the same working day for urgent problems
  • discuss the best way to progress your complaint to find a solution
  • make up to five visits to get evidence and assess the noise nuisance exists
  • make out of hours visits, where necessary
  • use recording equipment where appropriate
  • consider legal action to stop noise nuisance where we can gather enough evidence
  • provide noise diary sheets for your use
  • contact you before we close your complaint
  • ask you what you think of our service
  • offer advice and support on taking your own action if we can't resolve the problem

Council or housing association tenants

If the person responsible for the noise is a tenant of Sutton Housing Partnership or of a housing association, contact them directly.