If your landlord decides to evict you from the property, this is called a termination of tenancy. 

They must follow a legal process. This starts with the serving of:

Once the notice has expired, your landlord can apply to court for a possession order and then the execution of a Bailiffs Warrant. A possession order is not a CCJ (County Court Judgement). It is designed to protect tenants from illegal eviction, and therefore does not count against you in the future.

If you are renting privately, there are two types of notice your landlord can serve:

  • a Section 21(Served where the landlord simply wants his property back)
  • a Section 8 (Served due to breach of contract, or other anti-social type of behaviour)

You can find out more about Section 21 and Section 8 notices on shelter.org

Harassment or Illegal Eviction

Landlords of privately rented properties are not permitted to:

  • evict you without a court order, unless you are prepared to leave the premises through mutual agreement
  • withdraw vital services to your premises, such as essential utilities (such as gas, electricity, water) in an attempt to make the property uninhabitable

You're entitled to quiet enjoyment of your rented home. This is a legal principle that establishes that tenants are entitled to reside in their properties free of undue harassment from their landlord.

The Council has the power to prosecute your landlord where an infringement of your rights to quiet enjoyment occurs. If your landlord is attempting to force you out of your property against your will, without following the correct procedure, you should seek independent legal advice immediately.

One of our Housing Advisers can help you by speaking to your landlord. You can ask us about this by calling 020 8770 5000.

Parental Eviction

If you are 16 or 17 years old and have been asked to leave your parents property, you can contact Social Services on 020 8770 5000 for support. 

We’ll try to mediate between you and your parents to resolve the issues that have led to the breakdown of your relationship with them. In most cases, the best place for you to be living is in the family home, until you have developed the skills necessary for independent living.

If you are 18 or over

If you are at risk of becoming homeless, you can read more on the Encompass website.

Contact Encompass: