Reporting a problem with your rented property

If you're having problems with disrepair or health and safety at your privately rented home, you should discuss the issue with your landlord first. If necessary you can put your concerns in writing. 

If your landlord doesn't take any action

You can then contact the our Environmental Health team.

Make a private sector housing enquiry

What we can do

We have enforcement powers to ensure landlords maintain properties. They should be free from hazards and disrepair.

We can arrange to:

  • carry out an inspection of your property, and
  • work with your landlord to ensure the property is an acceptable standard

If necessary, we can take enforcement action to ensure repairs are made. 

Read about your rights as a private tenant on GOV.UK 

Housing Association Properties

If you live in a Housing Association property, we will not investigate complaints about housing conditions. First you must complete the your Housing Association complaints procedure. After that, you can take your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

This approach is consistent with advice offered by :

  • Housing Associations themselves and
  • the Housing Ombudsman