Some licences are administered by other organisations or Council departments. Find out more about the different types of licences below.


You don't need to obtain a licence or permit to busk in Sutton.

You need to be aware of surroundings and not obstruct the highway or cause a noise nuisance. You may not use street furniture such as public seats, lampposts, planting and railings.

Selling any merchandise such as CDs and t-shirts is not permitted, and you could be prosecuted for it.  Should you wish to sell any products, you must get a Street Trading Licence.

Charity street collections

A permit is required by anyone collecting money for charitable purposes in a public place. It is an offence to hold a collection without one, including house-to-house collections.

Permits are issued in London by the Police and you should apply for one online.

Child performing licences

A child may need a licence if they’re under school leaving age and:

  • taking part in films, plays, concerts, or other public performances that the audience pays to see
  • the event takes place on licensed premises
  • taking part in sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid 

Contact the Council on 020 8770 5000 and ask for the Child Employment and Performance Licensing Officer.

Consumer credit licenses

A business must be licensed with the Office of Fair Trading under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 if:

  • it offers credit or lends money to consumers,
  • allows customers time to pay for goods and services

Contact the Office of Fair Trading for more information.

Cooling Towers

If you're in control of premises with wet cooling systems or evaporative condensers, you must register them with us. You also must notify us of any subsequent changes, including when the plant stops being in operation.

This is under the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations.

Contact the Council's food and safety team (Environmental Health) for more information.

Door supervision and security licences

The Security Industry Authority (SIA) is responsible for licensing all individuals and companies working in the security industry, including door supervisors and security guards.

View then Security Industry Authority (SIA) website for more information.

Environmental Permit

If you are a business wanting to carry out processes that may cause emissions to land, air or water, you must apply for an environmental permit.

The Environment Agency regulates industry with the greatest potential of causing pollution to land, air or water. These are known as Part A (1) installations and are regulated under the Integrated Pollution and Prevention and Control (IPPC) system. For example, large foundries, brickworks, chemical production, or waste disposal.

We regulate industries with less potential to pollute the environment. These are known as Part A (2) activities, and cover similar activities to Part A (1) installations but on a smaller scale.

We also regulate Part B activities. Permit conditions for Part B activities only cover emissions to air. These include dry cleaners, paint spraying operations, waste oil burners, crematoria and petrol stations.

Contact the Council's pollution control team (Environmental Health).

Fire regulation and certificates

Under the Fire Safety Reform Order, every commercial premises must be subject to a comprehensive fire safety risk assessment. This has eliminated the need for most premises to hold fire certification. The London Fire Brigade is responsible for enforcing fire safety laws.

Find out more on the London Fire Brigade website.

Food safety registration and approval

Registration of businesses to store, prepare, distribute or sell food from their premises. Food premises approval for businesses providing products containing foods of animal origin to other businesses.

Contact the Council's food and safety team (Environmental Health).

Highways licences

Permission to put a builder's skip or materials on a public road, to put up scaffolding, to place a mobile crane on a public road, or to film.

Contact the Council's highways department.

Houses in Multiple Occupation Licence (HMO)

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) exists where three or more unrelated people live in a property and share amenities such as a kitchen, bathroom and/or WC. This could be a flat, maisonette or a house and the occupiers could be on one or multiple tenancy agreements.

Contact the Council's residential enforcement team at (Environmental Health).


No permit or licence is required to hand out leaflets, although they should avoid areas directly outside train stations and other transport hubs.

Distributors should be advised that all litter should be removed from the vicinity and fixed penalty notices are handed out by Enforcement Officers for littering.

They should inform local Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams and get permission from private land owners where required.

Music Licence

The Music Licence allows you to legally play music for employees or customers in your business through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.

Visit the music licence website to find out more about the process.

Nursing agencies licences and care homes

The proprietors of all adult care social care services - including nursing agencies, care homes and domiciliary care agencies - must register with Care Quality Commission.

Care Quality Commission website

Petroleum licensing

The London Fire Brigade is the licensing authority for the storage of petroleum in London. You need a licence if you are storing petroleum for commercial or retail purposes.

Planning permission

For example A1, A3, B1, C1 - sometimes known as a licence.

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes'. This Order is periodically amended.

It is generally the case that you will need planning permission to change from one use class to another. There are exceptions where the legislation does allow some changes between uses.

Contact the Council's planning department.

Sunday trading

There is no longer any requirement for shops wishing to trade on Sundays to register with their local authority.

However, the number of hours that large shops (i.e. shops with a floor space of more than 280 square metres/3,000 square feet) may trade for on Sundays remains restricted.

Find out more about trading hours for retails on GOV.UK.

Taxi and private hire licences

A hackney carriage is more commonly called a taxi or black cab. A licence is required for both the taxi and for any person driving a taxi. Licenses are provided by Transport for London.

Private hire vehicles (mini cabs) also have to be licensed. Private hire vehicles are vehicles that cannot be hailed from the street and journeys must be pre-booked. Vehicles must be tested and inspected before a licence can be issued to ensure that they are mechanically fit, safe and comfortable.

Minicab operators must hold a licence from the Public Carriage Office (PCO) to run a service (to accept or invite bookings for private hire vehicles). A licence is required before any person can drive a private hire vehicle. Licences are issued subject to proof of eligibility (age, driving licence, criminal records check, medical assessment etc.).

Transport for London taxis and private hire information.

Weighbridge certificate

To operate a public weighbridge, you need a certificate of competence issued by our Chief Inspector for Weights and Measures.

Contact the Council's Trading Standards team.